About FritzPond Alk Boost
Fritz Pond Alkalinity Booster is a safe and effective way to raise pond alkalinity. Some buffer products use only sodium bicarbonate to raise alkalinity, which can cause a dangerous “pH bounce”. Fritz Pond Alkalinity Booster contains a full spectrum of buffering agents, helping to prevent “pH bounce.” Alkalinity is the measure of the ability of water to hold a pH of 7.0 or above. Low alkalinity levels may result in pH fluctuations, sometimes severe enough to harm or kill fish. In addition, alkalinity levels below 80 ppm will prevent nitrifying bacteria from effectively reducing nitrite levels, stressing and endangering fish.
Directions & Dosage
Adjustment Dosage: Use 1 tablespoon per 120 U.S. gallons (454 L) or 1 cup per 2,000 U.S. gallons (7,570 L). Test total alkalinity in pond before use. If pond reads below 120 ppm, add 1 cup per 2,000 gallons of water or one tablespoon per 300 gallons. Wait two hours, retest alkalinity levels, retreat if necessary until desired level is reached. Limit change in alkalinity to 40 ppm per day or less. For best results, spread dosage over several days. Ideal alkalinity is between 120−240 ppm. Do not exceed 400 ppm.
- For best results, dissolve Fritz Pond Alkalinity Booster in separate container of pont water before dosing to high flow area of the pond
- No equipment restrictions necessary
- No contraindications: can be used with all of our other products and meds
- Safe for invertebrates
- Dry products measured by volume (teaspoons, cups, etc) will always give approximate results - use a gram scale if available. If a gram scale is not available, be sure to test for correct concentration after use
- It is recommended to dose in partial increments of 1/3 to 1/2 of the total. Wait 24 hours after first partial dose, check alkalinity levels, dose another portion
- This product becomes hot when mixed with water, use rubber gloves. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash hands after handling
- Some cloudiness is normal
- Storage: Store in a cool, dry place with lid tightly sealed
- Overdosed? Observe livestock for distress, perform small water changes if needed
- Test for alkalinity with reliable alkalinity test kits
Pond Alk Buffer Calculator
|20 oz. jar||1.25 lbs||54020|
|64 oz. jar||4 lbs||54064|
|1.25 gal bkt||10 lbs||54125|
See below for frequently asked questions regarding FritzPond Alk Boost.
Will Pond Alkalinity Booster cloud my water?
It might cloud your water slightly for a day or less depending upon how much calcium your system needs, and how good your filtration system is. Some people experience no clouding; by putting the product directly into the filter intake in a gradual way over a few hours. To have a truly soluble calcium carbonate, some clouding is inevitable.
Submit a Question
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us a new question.