About pH Higher
The pH of an aquarium is a very important, yet commonly overlooked aquarium water parameter. Maintaining a balanced, stable pH is vital to the health of aquarium livestock and efficiency of the bio-filter. Fritz Aquatics pH products are concentrated, safe and easy-to-use formulations that adjust and maintain the correct pH for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. With pH Increaser, the pH may be increased to a desired level for aquarium inhabitants.
Directions & Dosage
To increase pH, add 5 ml (1 cap/1 tsp) per 20 gallons of water.
Check the pH of your aquarium water prior to dosing.
Depending on the initial acidity of your water, several doses may be required to reach the target pH.
Wait approximately 10 minutes, re-check the pH level before adding more Fritz pH Higher.
If fish are present, limit pH change to 0.2 per day.
If high levels of ammonia have accumulated due to low pH, raise the pH slowly to prevent generation of high levels of the toxic form of ammonia.
See below for frequently asked questions regarding pH Higher.
My pH is taking forever to change. Can I add more than the recommended dosage at a time?
No. The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 6 is ten times more acidic than pH 7 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 8. So what appear to be small changes on a pH test kit or meter are actually pretty big changes. pH stability is more important to fish than a perfect pH. So if you are changing the pH, it is much better to do so gradually, over time and in small steps. Our directions allow for that gradual change in pH to avoid stressing livestock.
pH Higher Best Practices
- For best results, add pH Higher to a high flow area of your aquarium
- Always check the pH of your water before using pH Lower
- No equipment restrictions necessary
- No contraindications: can be used with all of our other products and meds
- Easy measuring: the 4 oz, 8 oz and 16 oz bottle caps are approximately 5 mL volume
- Do not change pH by more than 0.2 units per 24 hours when livestock is present. Test with a reliable pH test kit before and after use
- Overdosed? Observe livestock for distress, perform small water changes if needed
I’m not seeing any pH change on my test kit. What is happening?
How soon after dosing are you testing the water? Give the product time to mix in the aquarium and change the water chemistry. We recommend testing several hours after dosing.
Submit a Question
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us a new question.